Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Time to Paint

Good afternoon!

When Kevin and I bought our house last October, I was super excited to begin decorating it! I love, love, LOVE to decorate and couldn't wait to get started! Well, since we moved into the house right in the middle of the school year, a few things had to wait for the summer. One of those things was painting. Now, that I have all the time in the world, we decided it is time to paint!

To start things off, we went by Lowe's and Home Depot to look at paint swatches. Who knew there were so many colors of tan, beige and yellow?!?! I think we went a little overboard on swatches! As you can tell from the swatches we got, we are looking for a tan/yellow color with a muddied red as an accent. We are also using the dark brown/iron color as an accent since our furniture is that color.


Once we gathered all the swatches, we sat down and sorted them. We picked a few to tape to the wall. After looking at the swatches, we narrowed it down to see which ones we wanted samples of. After many hours of deciding, we came down to 7 samples (6 yellow and 1 red).


Then, I went into Home Depot (we loved the new paint and primer in one by Behr...less time!) to get sample sizes of the colors we liked. We painted them on the wall and compared them. The green star post-its helped us remember which ones we liked best. The two colors we like are called Hummus (the first green star) and Sensible Hue (the second green star). As of now, we love the red, but want to see how it looks once the whole room is painted the yellowish color. The red is called Morocco Red.





After choosing the 2 we liked, I put them on the wall in a larger area. Here they are next to each other on the wall. Sensible Hue is the color on top, Hummus is the color on bottom. Then, I tried one color (Sensible Hue) by itself. That is the color I like best. It has yellow in it, but it's not in your face yellow. It also looks great with my kitchen accessories, the tile, and cabinets.




Now, I'm just waiting for Kevin to get home! Hopefully he likes the same one I do!! Keep checking our blog for more pictures are we make our house a home!

1 comment:

  1. I like the sensible hue too! I really am a huge fan of red though, where is that going to go?

    ReplyDelete

Followers