Today I attended an all-day technology conference at Region X. I was super excited to go to this when my principal asked me to, and it didn't hurt that my great friend Sara (who teaches kinder) was asked to go too!! It was so crazy to be a student and not a teacher for the day! We went to a few classes all based on using technology in the classroom. I learned so many cool things...and have started a new wish list for next year!! Here is a recap of what I learned today!!
The first class was about using something I've never heard of before. Have you heard of Glogster.com? It is super cool. I've already made one for my kiddos to use next year. Basically, glogster is like a blog...but better! You can upload videos, images, sound (I know you can do this on a blog). The layout is similar to a poster. Instead of having students make posters for presentations, teachers are having their students crate glogs that are interactive. The glog I made is on ladybugs. Below is the link to my glog. I'm looking forward to using this next year! I probably won't have the kids create their own (might be too hard...) but I'd love to create some to introduce first grade and other concepts we study throughout the year!!
http://skclaborn.edu.glogster.com/ladybuglearning
The other class I went to was on using an iFlip video camera. This is definitely on my wish list for next year (hint, hint!). Students can use the camera to video record. Then, the camera has a USB drive attached to it so all you do is plug it in to your computer. Automatically you have the video, ready to edit! Cool, huh?
The last class we went to was called "50 Ways to Anchor Technology into the Classroom". I learned about really fun and easy websites to use in your room daily. They look super easy to navigate and are very kid friendly!! I am really, really, really excited about all of these. Here are a few websites to look at...
superteachertools.com
makewee.com
dovewhisper.com
freerice.com
bighugelabs.com
rubistar.com
One of the websites was buildyourwildself.com. Here is what I created there. The first one is Sarah and the second one is Kevin. The kids will love this!!


Overall, it was a good day!! I cannot wait to get into the classroom and use the new things I learned!!! I think working at the Math/Science/Technology Magnet School has turned me into a little nerd...hehe!!
Have a good night!!
Love, Sarah and Kevin



The glogster.com website is too cool! I had never heard of that before, I will have to be sure and write that down for the future!
ReplyDelete