Sunday, December 19, 2010

Memories

Good (lazy!) afternoon!!

Kevin and I are enjoying a super lazy day with Annie! It's been such a long time since we've been able to just lay around and do nothing! We are taking full advantage of this and I don't think we're going to leave the house at all today!!

Kevin is watching football and I'm catching up on old Glee episodes! While laying on the couch watching Glee, I noticed there is something super special I have not mentioned yet! While at home for Thanksgiving, my mom gave me a project she's been working on for years! She's made both my sister and I memory quilts out of old t-shirts! Basically, she took tons of old t-shirts we no longer wear, cut them into squares, and sewed them together into a quilt. Here's a picture of her final project...




The quilt has shirts dating all the way back to elementary school!! There are shirts from my days as a Brownie Girl Scout, softball, student council, band, summer camp and college! I decided to share some of my favorite shirts from the quilt. These shirts come with the best memories too!

These 2 shirts are some of my favorite camp shirts of all time! The first one is from my last summer at H.S.Y.C. This was the summer of 2007. I actually designed this shirt!! It probably doesn't make any sense to you, but at camp we counted 1, 2, 5, instead of 1, 2, 3. It is a tradition that was started way back when, and just kinda stayed around. The theme of that year was "Counting on a Great Summer"! The second shirt was from the summer of 2006. I was on senior staff that year and I can say that was probably my favorite summer spent at camp! We had such a great time that summer and when I think back about my time spend in Comfort, Texas, I often think about specifics from that summer! (Specifically when we put a goat in the boy counselor's room.....)






This shirt is from my senior year of high school! I loved high school!! I had such great friends who really knew how to have a great time and have fun! This shirt actually created quite the scandal at my high school! Whoever designed the shirt (it wasn't me this time!) made an alcohol reference on the back of every one's shirt. We were only allowed to wear the shirt to school if we put duct tape on the back. Looking back now, it was all so stupid! But at the time it was a big deal! Somehow my name got brought into the scandal. One of the students called into the local radio station claiming she was the student council president. She said a few bad things about the school and the administration's decision on the shirts. Well later that day, I (the real president) got called into the Principal's office to talk about it! I was so upset at this person!! Luckily the admin knew what was going on and nothing really happened to me. Talk about DRAMA!!




The final shirt I want to talk about is a really special shirt. It is from the dorm that Kevin and I lived in! Although we were just friends while living in Jackson Hall, I have tons of great memories of the two of us!




On the back of the quilt is something extremely special to me. In high school, parents had the opportunity to leave messages in yearbooks, football programs and newspapers for their graduating senior. My parents put one in and I had no idea about it! I remember finding the message one day in school and bursting into tears! My dad had written a small poem for the paper! My mom managed to copy the message and put it onto fabric. Then, she sewed it into the back of the quilt! Pretty cool, huh? I love having this quilt as a memory! It was also a great way to put those old shirts I wanted to keep to good use! Thank you so much Mom! I really love it!!

1 comment:

  1. My mom made me a t-shirt quilt with all of my high school volleyball tshirts and it is one of my absolute favorite gifts I have ever received. It actually is what I use at camp. I would have to agree with you, 2006 and 2007 were for sure the best summers ever!

    ReplyDelete

Followers