Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I See the Finish Line!!

Hello everyone!!

We started painting the house about 2 weeks ago, and I can finally say we are almost finished!! As of now, I only have 3 more walls to paint (which are in the room with the pool table)!! This painting thing has been really hard work! Who knew you could get so sore from painting? I have so many bruises on my legs from my friend the ladder!! I had to put make-up on my legs to cover the battle scars!! My back is also killing me!! Kevin thinks it's pretty pathetic....and I would agree!!

Basically, I started painting in our living room. At first, we thought the paint was too yellow! I was really afraid to paint any more of the house until we knew for sure it was the right color. After putting things on the wall, the color fit a little better in some places, but we still weren't 100% sold on "Sensible Hue" in other places. Then, Kevin's brother Kyle came over to play pool. He swore there were different paint colors on the wall, but they were painted all the same. He even thought an unpainted wall was painted. He suggested that we try a different light bulb...and it worked WONDERS!! Thanks Kyle!! The living room, dining room, and hallways are now completely painted...with maybe a little touch-up in some spots where I "Oopsed"!!

I'd love to post some pictures but want to wait to do a final before and after! Kevin might get off work early on Friday (keeping my fingers crossed!) and we're planning on doing some decoration shopping over the weekend. We bought a little something last weekend that looks great in the room! I'll have to show you our finds later! I love watching everything come together! Although this has been a lot of work, I'm really glad we did it!

Here are a few tips I've learned over the past few weeks:

1. Put the same light bulbs throughout the house! We really haven't changed the lights since the previous owner lived here, so they were different in every part of the house. This made our color look so different! Once we put the same bulbs throughout the house, the color became consistent.

2. You can put used paint brushes in the refrigerator to keep from rinsing them after every use! This keeps the paint fresh and prevents the brush from drying out! My sister-in-law Ashley shared this with us, which was later confirmed by my mom! This has saved me so much time because I don't have to clean the brushes each time I'm finished painting!

3. To paint straight lines on the wall without getting paint on the ceiling, buy this product called ShurLine. Basically, it is a paint pad with wheels on one side that roll against the ceiling (or surface you don't want painted). The paint gets across the top of the wall (or anything else that needs to be edged) and stays off the ceiling! Correction....supposed to say off the ceiling....If you get paint on the wheels, you get paint on the ceiling. I learned that the hard way!! Once I got that part down, there were no mistakes! You need to be very careful when loading the paint pad!!

I've learned so much more, but really can't remember anymore! I am beat down tired!! If anyone has tips for getting paint out of hair, I'd love them!! It kinds looks like I have tiny blonde highlights in a few places!!! Anyways, after a long day of painting, it is time for bed!! Be on the lookout for the completed look! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers