I finally have time to blog about my family's visit to Dallas! My mom, dad, and sister came into town from San Antonio last Tuesday night. They stayed almost an entire week, and left early this morning! We had such a good time exploring the city and had some relaxing evenings at home playing our favorite game, 42 (dominoes). Here is a recap of our fun week!
Wednesday: We decided we would spend our first day out towards the Grapevine area. We had to make our way over to Bass Pro Shops! My dad LOVES this place, so anytime there is one in the area, we have to go! I swear he is like a child visiting Disney World. He gets to excited!! It is hilarious!! We spent about an hour in there, went over to the mall, and then got some lunch. Then, we went to look at the Gaylord Texan Hotel. It was huge!! After a quick trip there, we decided to do some shopping!My mom and sister have always wanted to go to Sam Moon to check out all the jewelry! They've wanted to go out there for a while now, so I'm glad we finally made it that way. Here is a picture of my dad enjoying his time at Sam Moon! I think he looks cute...don't you? Sorry dad for posting.....
After a long day in the Grapevine area, we decided to head home! We took my mom out for her belated birthday dinner, came home, and played some dominoes. Kevin and I were on a team against my dad and sister. Unfortunately, Kevin and I lost! We also played some fun games of pool!
Thursday: I had to wake up super early on Thursday morning to teach a new teacher training for science. So, while I was working, my family got to sleep in!! I was super jealous (and realized how Kevin feels every morning during the summer...). After I got home we ate some lunch, took a quick nap (I really needed it!!), and headed out to the Arboretum. I was a little bit worried about going there because of the heat wave Dallas has had! It was super hot (around 109 with the heat index) but a really cool place. We took a tour of the 21,000 square foot mansion that is on the property! It was a really cool house! I'd love to live there!! We were super lazy and took a golf cart tour of the place (give us a break..it was hot!) and saw all kinds of pretty flowers/plants. I also found a few I'd like to plant sometime. We cut the trip pretty short due to the heat, but have decided the next time my parents are in town to go back. I forgot my camera at home, so my sister has all the pictures...sorry!! Again, we came home, ate dinner and played some more dominoes! Dad and I were on a team while Kevin and Rebecca were on a team. Mom was in the kitchen making a delicious German Chocolate Cake that teased me. I think that's why Dad and I lost the game. I was too focused on the cake rather than the dominoes!
Friday: We woke up early on Friday morning to head downtown. Kevin took the day off to spend some time with us! We rode the DART train downtown to take a look at Dealey Plaza. This was the location where Kennedy was shot. It was very eerie to me.
There is an "X" in the middle of the road where Kennedy's car was when the shots were fired. Dad (right as the light turned green) stood on the "X" to take a picture. He quickly had to get back on the sidewalk to prevent being hit!
After we walked around outside, we took a tour of the 6th floor museum. This was the building where Oswald shot from. The tour was so cool! It was a headphone narration tour so you could walk around yourself and listen to the tour. You could pause the tape if needed so you could stop to read something or watch a quick video. I would definitely recommend this museum! After the museum, we walked around downtown, and then headed home. Kevin's parents came over for dinner Friday night and we had so much fun talking and again, playing Dominoes! Dad and I lost again!!! Everyone one a game except me...
Saturday: My parents love to camp and wanted to check out some camping in the Dallas area. We headed out to Joe Pool Lake and visited Cedar Hill State Park. It was a very nice park with lots of trees! I think it would be a great place to camp! We toured the park, ate a picnic lunch, and went into the water for a little bit. Then, we went home, introduced Rebecca to Star Wars, and went shopping for more house decorations with my family. We didn't find anything, but it was fun looking around.
Today (Sunday): My parents and sister woke up, ate breakfast, packed the car, and headed back home to San Antonio. Both Kevin and I are really glad they came up this week, and were happy that they got to spend more time in Dallas! They usually come up for just a weekend, so there isn't much time to look around the area. I think they enjoyed themselves more because they didn't have to drive back so fast. I think they're coming back up in October for either the Fair or a Canton trip! I can't wait to see them again!!
As for me, I'm dreading tomorrow because I have to go back to work! I'm excited to see everyone at school, but not ready to give up the freedom of summer (or sitting in my pj's all day)! On the up-side...we get our dog at the end of the week!!
Have a good night!!



No comments:
Post a Comment